Sexual assault: A woman speaks about intimate partner sexual violence
Did you know that every 68 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted? According to The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization, 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed, 2.8% attempted). Women ages 18-24 who are college students are 3 times more likely than women in general to experience sexual violence. Females of the same age who are not enrolled in college are 4 times more likely. And in eight out of 10 sexual assaults, the perpetrator is someone the victim knows.
Eagle Eye reporters Jayla Bibbs and Noel Briere discuss date rape with a survivor.
Warning Signs of abuse include a partner who:
- Attempts to cut you off from friends and family
- Is extremely jealous or upset if you spend time away from them
- Insults you, puts you down, says that you can never do anything right
- Tries to prevent you from attending work or school
- Tries to prevent you from making decisions for yourself
- Destroys your property, attempts to harm your pets
- Threatens to harm your children or take them away from you
- Tells you that you are worthless and that no one else could ever love you
- Controls your finances
Help is available
Call the National Sexual Assault Hotline. Call 800.656.HOPE (4763).
Consider therapy or other mental health support. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration(SAMHSA).
Malesurvivor.org: Designed for male survivors of sexual violence.
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). 706.802.0580. This number reaches the on-call advocate to initiate a SANE.
Reinhardt University Office of Public Safety. Call 770.720.5911.
For more news and updates about Reinhardt events, follow our social media platforms: